Pure Tung Oil
- Premium, pure and natural oil for wood care.
- Suitable for use on toys and surfaces in contact with food.
- Provides a long lasting matt finish.
- Highly resistant to water, heat, alcohol and food acids.
- Suitable for interior and exterior use.
Ensure the wood surface is bare: remove any wax finishes with Libéron Wax and Polish Remover and any varnish finishes with Libéron Fine Wood Stripper. Clean, dry and ensure the surface is dust free.
Ready to use. Apply Tung Oil using a brush or lint-free cotton cloth. For ease of application dilute the first one or two coats with a little bit of white spirit. Allow the oil to penetrate for 20 to 30 minutes then wipe off the excess oil using a clean lint-free cloth. Allow to dry for 24h between coats. Apply further coats of Tung Oil as above, reducing the amount of white spirit used with subsequent coats. Again allow 24h to dry. Apply the last one or two coats of Tung Oil undiluted, as in previous applications. After the final coat has been applied and the excess removed, leave for 24h and wipe over again to aid drying and remove any oil that may have surfaced. We recommend a minimum of 4 coats; more coats will be required for porous or external surfaces. For best results, gently rub with Libéron Ultrafine Steel Wool (grade 0000) between coats. Leave for a few days before use to allow the Tung Oil to dry fully.
- Furniture items may be finished with Libéron Black Bison Wax for an improved lustre.
- Maintenance: Pure Tung Oil must be maintained on a regular basis. Apply at least once or twice a year or more if required, depending upon exposure to the weather and usage. On exposed external timbers it is important to apply sufficient coats of oil to give the initial protection.
- Tung Oil is extracted from nuts and may cause an allergic reaction.
- Store Libéron Tung Oil at a temperature above 5°C. Always replace the lid otherwise the oil can deteriorate.
- If the excess is not removed and the surface becomes sticky, wipe with white spirit to remove the sticky film and allow to dry before continuing.
- Important: Oil finishes bring out the natural colours of timber. A wet surface will be an indication of the final colour. Always test product on a spare surface or inconspicuous area for colour, compatibility and end result.
- Remove as much of the oil as possible from the tools after use. Do not dispose of residues and washing water/solvents in the sink, toilet, sewer, bin, etc., in order to avoid discharge into the environment.